A resume is one of the essential tools in your job search. This tool is used to market or sell an applicant to an employer. It should only be a short summary, not the whole story. The following are general guidelines for writing different types of resumes.
This information changes geographically and varies according to the person and the profession.
- Length should be one or two pages, but never exceed two pages
- Make margins (top, bottom, left and right) approx. 1-inch
- There should be plenty of white space and it should be easy to read
- Font size should be 10 to 12 using conservative font styles. Ariel, and New Times Roman are preferable
- Layout should be easy to follow and information easy to locate • Appearance should be neat and clean, no errors or corrections
- Paper should be 20-25 weight bond, rag or linen and of neutral color
- Envelope and cover letter should match resume paper
- Left justified
- Use black ink and/or fonts that are easy to read Resume Content:
- Show responsibility and results that relate to the needs of the company • Give examples of accomplishments and the ability to solve problems
- Show statistics and numbers
- Be honest, positive and specific
- Use category headings: objective, professional highlights, education, training, skills professional associations and organizations, honors and awards, references
- Avoid jargon and abbreviations. Don’t use sentence format, instead use action verbs and a few words with lots of impact
- Include volunteer experience, languages, internships, and certificates that relate to the position
- Research the company and know what information would impress them
- Use industry terminology
These tools make make the difference in getting to the interview that you need.
Go to www.TADPGS.com, click on the “Looking for People” tab, then view “Veterans Solutions”. To see more for information for Veterans, please join our LinkedIn group, Veterans Hiring Solutions for Veterans at http://linkd.in/Sg346w. If you have specific questions, contact me at Ben.Marich@Adeccona.com.